onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Your starting 11 for this summer's World Cup?

TylerB

Advert

Fancy a tenner on it ?

What makes you think the likes of Uruguay and Italy are going to finish behind this English team? This will be the one world cup when the FA finally realise something is seriously wrong with English football.

I also think you are underestimating Costa Rica- they certainly won't make it easy for England.

Other than blind patriotism, what makes you form that opinion ? Form, history, odds, player ratings, lack of venue experience and many other factors suggest that England won't be able to compete with the best European teams, certainly Germany, Spain and Holland. They will also find it hard to beat teams like Uruguay, Chile and Columbia on their home continent should they have to play them, and then there is the little matter of Brazil and Argentina.

Several other teams I haven't mentioned could stop England's progress as well - but do you honestly deep down think that England could get past 2 or 3 of the 8 teams I have named (they may beat one of them as a one-off with luck on a very, very good day).

The likes of Spain, Germany and Holland are excellent sides, but I don't see why that automatically makes England a bad side.

We have a good starting 11, a decent squad of players and on our day are capable of doing well against anyone. Most other teams keep the ball a lot better but it's not just about that. I think we'll struggle in Brazil and will do very well just to get out of our group, but in the likes of Jones, Shaw, Wilshere, Townsend, Sterling and Sturridge there is enough talent there to not be so pessimistic.

I'm replying to this post and your reply to,mine.

Cole is a tremendous player but he simply isn't getting enough game time.

Huddlestone was the undoing of AVB. He bought in all these midfielders in the summer for 3 or 4 times (at least) what he's old Huddlestone for and none of them are as good as he is! He can anchor a midfield superbly, a role which doesn't require pace

As far as REP's post I agree,Rooney should play in the hole with Sturridge up top. Anyone trying 4-4-2 is asking for a hiding

I don't disagree that he has ability, but he has something major missing in his game, which is why he failed (to an extent) at Spurs and is currently playing for Hull.

As for Barry, he's done a job for Everton this season but can anyone remember him actually having a better than bang average game in an England shirt?

I don't disagree that he has ability, but he has something major missing in his game, which is why he failed (to an extent) at Spurs and is currently playing for Hull.

As for Barry, he's done a job for Everton this season but can anyone remember him actually having a better than bang average game in an England shirt?

I don't think he did fail at Spurs- I think they made a mistake selling him

What makes you think the likes of Uruguay and Italy are going to finish behind this English team? This will be the one world cup when the FA finally realise something is seriously wrong with English football.

I also think you are underestimating Costa Rica- they certainly won't make it easy for England.

A ball hasn't been kicked in anger yet, what makes me think the likes of Uruguay and Italy may finish behind us is that as we stand, we are all on zero points. If we play as we can and defend well enough then there's no reason why we can't progress. Italy are traditionally slow starters and will not wish to lose the first game, I envisage a slow paced cagey game which could end in a draw.

Uruguay will be a difficult game but a lot will depend upon the first match results, if both us and them are unbeaten then again I expect another close contest.

That leaves the final game against Costa Rica and I certainly do not underestimate them, nor should anyone. They are there on merit and will be keen to put on a good show. If we are in with a shout of progressing then we must approach that game with a very positive team but we will have to wait and see.

By no means am I silly enough or patriotic enough to even contemplate us winning the competition, however I do believe that to just dismiss us so easily as Statto has is a mistake, hence my offer of a wager. I note he was not quick to respond to that!

I don't bet but I will have a £5 charity bet?

My offer of a wager was with Statto because I believe he is too quick to dumb down our chances of progressing through the group. My intent was not to bet with each and every OVFer but I will take your bet.

A fiver to Dougie Mac if I lose, you may donate to whoever if you lose.

We're not going to win it if we try. Get the younger players in and give them tournament experience.

--------------Hart-------------

Walker---Jones---Cahill---Shaw

------Barkley---Wilshere-------

-Townsend---Rooney---Sterling

------------Sturridge----------

A ball hasn't been kicked in anger yet, what makes me think the likes of Uruguay and Italy may finish behind us is that as we stand, we are all on zero points. If we play as we can and defend well enough then there's no reason why we can't progress. Italy are traditionally slow starters and will not wish to lose the first game, I envisage a slow paced cagey game which could end in a draw.

Uruguay will be a difficult game but a lot will depend upon the first match results, if both us and them are unbeaten then again I expect another close contest.

That leaves the final game against Costa Rica and I certainly do not underestimate them, nor should anyone. They are there on merit and will be keen to put on a good show. If we are in with a shout of progressing then we must approach that game with a very positive team but we will have to wait and see.

By no means am I silly enough or patriotic enough to even contemplate us winning the competition, however I do believe that to just dismiss us so easily as Statto has is a mistake, hence my offer of a wager. I note he was not quick to respond to that!

I agree that the game's are going to be cagey affairs, England can't get caught on the counter as we did in the 2010 WC vs Germny and recently in the friendly against Chile, hence I would play 4-2-3-1. I think we can sneak it against Italy, playing two holding midfield players will hopefully nullify Suarez and then come out on top against Costa Rica.....see's us through into the last 16.

Also, squad depth is going to be important in the heat of Brazil and I anticipate the likes of Sterling, Lallana, Barkley and Lambert and possible Carroll (as an impact player) will have a part to play.

------------------------------Hart

Walker---------Jagielka-----------------Cahill----------Baines

-----------------------------Jones

----------------Gerrard----------------Wilshere

---------Rooney-------------------------------Lallana

---------------------------Lambert

Archived