onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Any PC experts here?

TylerB

I have a water-cooled desktop that I need to add some UV liquid to, along with giving the inside a bit of a clean as I can see a little dust gathering. It's an expensive machine and I've never had to deal with a water cooling system before and I don't want to risk ruining it or any components, not this close to Christmas! So if anyone here knows what they are doing and can pop around sometime I'll happily pay £30 and cover petrol money for a bit of your time. It will probably take less than half an hour but it's a once in a while thing and I'd rather someone who's perhaps built systems in the past to do a proper job in case any dismantling and then putting back together has to be done. Cheers.

Advert

Is it an aftermarket system or came premade with the computer?

A branded product from Corsair or something should be easy enough to depressurise the pump and add dye. A generic Chinese made system may be a bit harder to deal with as it probably won't be very user friendly.

Depending on the age of the water-cooler you may want to empty and refill it with new coolant, every six months is the usual timeframe as the coolant becomes electrostatically conductive. The coolant you have now will probably be distilled water with a biocide in there as well to kill algae.

Have a look for some serial numbers, probably be printed on the radiator or the block.

It was all pre-made. Basically, the guy who built it said that it was very low maintenance and I wouldn't have to top up the fluid for a long, long time. But because there's about a quarter missing in the cylinder, if that's what you call it, it makes a fish tank kind of noise when switched on. It doesn't bother me at all, but if I or someone opened up the case then it might as well be topped up. I'd like to have a green LED light fitted at the front, which I've already purchased, and give it a bit of a clean inside where I can see some dust has gathered when one of the main lights inside is switched on. As mentioned, I really don't have the confidence to do this myself as I plan to sell it at some point and don't want to risk ruining anything, and I'd happily pay someone who is confident enough to do the above.

Archived