onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Squad for next season

leedsvaliant

Advert

I find all of this Vale 2015/16 squad talk very depressing. If folk think that next season's squad will be stronger than this year's then I fear they are going to be bitterly disappointed.

I believe that most of the better players will leave for better deals and the majority who remain will be the players that the opening poster thinks should be released.

Pretty well agree with the opening post. I might consider Dodds and Birchall on one year contracts. Their form seems to improve as the contract runs down. They'd have to take minimal wage though. Pope is all about whether the contract was value for money and I suspect it would be right to offer him reduced terms.

Agree with pretty much all of the OP's views.

The worrying part is, not only would we have to replace the 8 or so that will, hopefully, be released, but of the 9 that are still under contract for next season only Neal and an on-form Moore are worthy of being in the first XI. (maybe Dickinson too, at a push).

And what are the chances that the ones we should want to keep do actually stay? (highly unlikely, meaning more quality replacements will need to be signed)

Deen-Conteh and Andoh are complete unknowns but at the age of 22 they should really be challenging for the first team if they've got anything about them - and neither has so much as made the bench up to yet.

If Deen-Conteh is genuinely good enough to be considered though I'd look to try and move on McGivern, as we don't need 4 left-back options (including Daniel as one of those as he's supposedly played there), plus Duffy is still contracted as emergency backup at centre-half/right-back.

There's a hell of a lot of work to do this Summer, but I have the very uneasy feeling that, not only will Page still be manager, but he will keep a number of those that should be released IMO.

At the end of the day it depends on (a) what division we are in and (b) the size of the budget.

Those two are indeterminate at present.

I would be disappointed if we lost the likes of Pope, Marshall, O'Connor & Veseli. I doubt we could re-sign the likes of Inniss & Collins so I won't even bother mentioning them. But they are the type we need to try and keep to make progress.

I'm not as critical as some of the other names as I think they can make a contribution to the squad so Birchall, McGivern & Dodds I'd keep.

Whatever happens it is going to be a monumental task. We are short in several key areas - central defence, attacking midfield players & goalscorers, and they don't grow on trees.

It would be frustrating (if we stay up) to just tread water or worse next season.

If Sheff U go up, there are no biggies left in Division 3 next year so we really should be in with as much chance as anyone for a play-off or automatic spot.

We really must stop aiming for the play offs and aim to win something, preferably the league. If you think players should be released, please give valid reasons based on performance on the pitch, and not your imagination or personal dislikes. But it would be nice to concentrate instead on the players we should strive to keep and improve. I'd start with Page as manager and then look to bring in some decent coaching staff and assistant manager and get them involved in the process.

I wouldn't worry about the Play Offs or winning something with the current squad and management team. A new coach may help, but the squad needs a massive injection of pace front and back, that needs to be the priority take away Marshall and the rest are completely pedestrian at times.......
Therein lies the problem, fast players cost fast bucks!

Archived