onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Next England Manager

TylerB

Is that the same Newcastle who were relegated last season ??

No to klinsmann, a German managing England....

Well Steve McClaren is every bit a wolly as any manager around, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Personally the next manager could be a martian just as long as he gets more out of the team/

Advert

I don't get this obsession of nationality, it has nothing to do with the skill of somebody. I want the *best* manager, not the best English manager.

Even more so right now as the current English selections available don't come close in the rankings when you look abroad.

I don't get this obsession of nationality, it has nothing to do with the skill of somebody. I want the *best* manager, not the best English manager.

Even more so right now as the current English selections available don't come close in the rankings when you look abroad.

I agree. The trouble is all the best managers are employed, and in the main, recently employed too.

Jurgen Klinsmann is another decent option, certainly on a pair with the English managers that have been named as potential successors. Completely agree that we aren't blessed with options. Most of them would be better than Hodgson, just so long as it's not Gareth Southgate, as that will only end in tears! I could have a good cry just thinking about him in the job.

Southgate wouldn't be my choice either but at least he won the Euro's with our U21's in May and I've just heard that the U19's are in the semi-finals after beating Holland.

The future looks good.

Where are they now and where were they before are the pertinent questions, REP. I think, from memory, he got them to about 10th in their first season back in the PL, although I can't remember for sure. They had a decent season after as Pardew built on the work that Allardyce had done, then it all went to **** again as it usually does with Newcastle.

You're memory is playing tricks, CV. Allardyce was only at Newcastle for 7 months and didn't complete a season. When he was sacked they had won 2 out of his last 14 games and that included getting a lucky 0-0 draw at the Brit against then Championship Stoke. The fans hated him because he was such an arrogant tosser. Keegan came in for the Stoke replay and Newcastle stuck four past them despite only having 10 men for the last hour of the game. I saw both of those games and the difference in the team was remarkable.

He had been appointed by Freddie Shepherd. Shortly afterwards the club was sold to Ashley who never liked Allardyce. He also made some pretty woeful signings, including paying 6 million quid for Alan Smith from Manure - never scored a goal in his five years at the club.

Don't care who it is along as they:

A: Play players in their favoured/best position.

B: Build a team based on point A, even if that means dropping a "star".

C: Pick a player who can take corners and freekicks and does this in every club match.

D: Practice penalties. You can't replicate the pressure but if you have the technique and the belief then that's something to fall back on after 2 hours of football.

You're memory is playing tricks, CV. Allardyce was only at Newcastle for 7 months and didn't complete a season. When he was sacked they had won 2 out of his last 14 games and that included getting a lucky 0-0 draw at the Brit against then Championship Stoke. The fans hated him because he was such an arrogant tosser. Keegan came in for the Stoke replay and Newcastle stuck four past them despite only having 10 men for the last hour of the game. I saw both of those games and the difference in the team was remarkable.

He had been appointed by Freddie Shepherd. Shortly afterwards the club was sold to Ashley who never liked Allardyce. He also made some pretty woeful signings, including paying 6 million quid for Alan Smith from Manure - never scored a goal in his five years at the club.

I know what you mean but Newcastle is the only blot on Allardyce's CV if you like. He's done a decent job everywhere else. Wrongly fired at Blackburn(look what they've achieved since or not achieved would be more apt).

Again though a little bit like Hodgson's career before England he's never actually won anything major(2 Championship Level promotion playoff finals with Bolton and West Ham) but has done good jobs at so-called 'smaller' teams where perhaps winning something wasn't the actual brief when he was appointed more so keeping the side in the Premier League or getting them promoted from the Championship

It's just the style of football he plays isn't well liked but if we are honest how many managers who are available and have actually won anything 'major' would want the England job?

Redknapp hasn't got a clue tactically but at least would get the players motivated and playing to their strengths. He would have been a much better appointment than Hodgson, but probably would have said "Yes, sir." much less.

Archived