onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Next England Manager

TylerB

he took over at Sunderland after 8 games so in 30 games he just kept them up and he is now the right choice to manage the hot potato we call England

One defeat in last 13 matches (or something like that) absolutely superb achievement considering where they were when he joined and the players he had. What more could he have done?

If he picks Carroll and he scores the winner in a truly awful world cup final no one will care. Let's win and not worry about how we do it.

Advert

I actually think he'll do alright. I just hope he doesn't employ West Ham tactics and start with the likes of Carroll or Downing in the starting 11. Despite the Euro's we have a lot of good young talent in the likes of Stones, Shaw, Barkley and Alli.

Well done Beechy you didn't mention a Liverpool player in that post for the first time in a long time when talking about promising English players ;)

He could prove me wrong but I genuinely feel this is Mike Bassett come to life.

One defeat in last 13 matches (or something like that) absolutely superb achievement considering where they were when he joined and the players he had. What more could he have done?

If he picks Carroll and he scores the winner in a truly awful world cup final no one will care. Let's win and not worry about how we do it.

And if we go out with in the group stages after another gimme of a qualifying group?

And if we go out with in the group stages after another gimme of a qualifying group?

At least he'll have tried something different 'cause Brazil 2014 and the 2016 Euros have shown England don't do tippy tappy football well. Germany, Italy and France all had a big guy who could hold the ball up and head the ball, Portugal had Ronaldo who's very good in the air, England had Harry Kane at 6ft+ but heading the ball isn't one of his strengths.

Carroll at the very least would have given option B, when there's two banks of 4 or 5 defending the space is in the air. England need fluidity, options not the rigidity, and dogma provided by Hodgson.

My point is no one will give a toss about who he picks and how England play if we get results. People are banging on about who he will pick and how we will play when picking the so called best and trying to play easy on the eye football has got us nowhere.

I see Taggart has said Allardyce is an excellent appointment. Bearing in mind the guy still has huge influence at Man United, why has he never suggested him for the job at Old Trafford?

I read a stat somewhere recently that since the appointment of Sven, the FA has spent more than £70 million on manager salaries and pay offs. During that time we have won two tournament knock out matches! The FA hasn't got a track record in manager selection.

I see Taggart has said Allardyce is an excellent appointment. Bearing in mind the guy still has huge influence at Man United, why has he never suggested him for the job at Old Trafford?

I read a stat somewhere recently that since the appointment of Sven, the FA has spent more than £70 million on manager salaries and pay offs. During that time we have won two tournament knock out matches! The FA hasn't got a track record in manager selection.

Who would you have chosen?

If it has to be an Englishman I'd have gone for Eddie Howe with an old head alongside him. Let's face it, there is a very small pool of decent English managers to choose from.

Howe isn't ready, the England job would have destroyed his career before it got going.

If you wanted English, the only man for the job got it.

Get ready for dinosaur football Rory!

Well at least England will hopefully have an alternative to tippy tappy "tactically complicated" football which doesn't suite the players and which they don't understand and which has been responsible for the ignominious exit from the last two International tournaments.

Get ready for dinosaur football Rory!

He can play Barney up front if it wins us matches. Who cares about the style of football if it gets results..I'm not saying that it will win us matches but I've gone beyond caring about England being entertaining..i just want us to win

I have just finished reading Big Sam's biography, written this year. It is very revealing into his management philosophy, and very reassuring in respect of his approach to football in general. I commend it as a good read.

I also think the best man for the job got the job and we may be in for a pleasant surprise. At least he will not see Wayne Rooney as some kind of midfield maestro who can dominate a game from the centre of the pitch. Poor old Roy made a big mistake in that particular decision which cost England dear in Euro 2016.

The England 1966 world cup winning team did not have the best 11 English players in the team. The manager did however put out on the pitch the best English team.

Archived