onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bruno.

TylerB

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2016/09/ribeiro-targets-top-spot/

No, not Frank.

How refreshing is this guy? When we lose and put in a terrible performance as we did against Bury he didn't try to gloss over it or make excuses. He accepted the blame and took full responsibility, as a manager should do really. I love his optimistic attitude as shown above, someone who isn't afraid to set high targets and go for them. I was always on the fence with Page. Nobody can say he did a bad job overall because he didn't, nowhere near. But as soon as he would come on the radio after a game I could have easily turned him off, because it was the same repeated lines over and over again when we lost, or he was asked about the teams ambitions.

Keep up the good work, Bruno. We're all behind you.

Advert

I was massively sceptical when he was appointed, but am happy to have been proved wrong thus far! It's a long old season though in League 1 and the key will be how he responds to any sustained dip in form. We are in a healthy position from which we can look to maintain and kick on.

I think we have the depth of squad to avoid that hopefully. De Freitas, Pererai, Amoros, Shalaj, Mac-Intosh, Kiko, Santos, Kelly are all good players who have played only a small role so far (could maybe even include Cicillia in that). We've also not even seen Ferguson and Mbamba really.

Bruno already seems more tactically astute than Page. I thought we were stuffed after pre season which was dire, but Bruno has addressed all the shortcomings, especially in defence, within an impressive time frame.

However the foundations for Nathan Smith's progress were very much laid under page

Bruno already seems more tactically astute than Page. I thought we were stuffed after pre season which was dire, but Bruno has addressed all the shortcomings, especially in defence, within an impressive time frame.

However the foundations for Nathan Smith's progress were very much laid under page

Agree that Bruno is tactically much more aware than Page who could never really change a game if it wasn't going our way.

Unsure whether Nathan Smith's progress was laid under Page - he basically sent him out on loan more to get him off our books and probably wouldn't have played him if he'd still been in charge this season. Bruno has recognised the potential and is reaping the rewards.

The difference is that Page is the 'safe' manager who is more interested in 'not doing too badly' so that it reflects reasonably on his CV, hence his unwillingness to play youngsters or young loanees. At the moment, Bruno wants to win things here and now and will take risks.

Agree that Bruno is tactically much more aware than Page who could never really change a game if it wasn't going our way.

Unsure whether Nathan Smith's progress was laid under Page - he basically sent him out on loan more to get him off our books and probably wouldn't have played him if he'd still been in charge this season. Bruno has recognised the potential and is reaping the rewards.

The difference is that Page is the 'safe' manager who is more interested in 'not doing too badly' so that it reflects reasonably on his CV, hence his unwillingness to play youngsters or young loanees. At the moment, Bruno wants to win things here and now and will take risks.

Never liked Rob Page, was vocally against him being kept on as manager after his interim period but he ended up doing an OK job.

However, to say he wasnt prepared to give Smith a go is just not correct.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-rob-page-says-nathan-smith-team-chance/story-29284370-detail/story.html

He might not have been a starter on the first game but Page said he would give Nathan the pre-season to prove himself, as was the case with Bruno. If Nathan performed as well as he did in the pre he would have been in with as much of a chance as he did with Bruno.

I think people like to remember Page badly in order to discredit him. I dont like the guy but his home record was fantastic, something we have built on this seaosn. Couldnt win a game away mind, but nor can Bruno currently.

Never liked Rob Page, was vocally against him being kept on as manager after his interim period but he ended up doing an OK job.

However, to say he wasnt prepared to give Smith a go is just not correct.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-rob-page-says-nathan-smith-team-chance/story-29284370-detail/story.html

He might not have been a starter on the first game but Page said he would give Nathan the pre-season to prove himself, as was the case with Bruno. If Nathan performed as well as he did in the pre he would have been in with as much of a chance as he did with Bruno.

I think people like to remember Page badly in order to discredit him. I dont like the guy but his home record was fantastic, something we have built on this seaosn. Couldnt win a game away mind, but nor can Bruno currently.

He said things like that a lot in the press, particularly when he brought in loan players. Whether he'd have acted upon it is a different matter (I suspect he would have brought in a more experienced centre half and Duffy may have stayed).

He did an OK job, nothing more nothing less and would not take the risks required to take us to the next level. Nice guy, solid manager but too pally with the players to earn any real respect.

You're right, the away form is a concern but I believe that the way we are playing is much more conducive to producing results away from home sooner or later.

Agree with most of what's been said on this thread! Excellent post from Beechy first up.

Whilst our home form was good last season apart from Wigan and 1 or 2 other games I never felt particularly enthralled. I'm not just saying that as I wasn't a Page fan as said position wise it was about what I expected but the style of football was largely dire. Lets be honest the last 3 games Burton, Walsall and Barnsley were awful and the was some tosh in the middle like Scunny and Fleetwood where we simply didn't do enough.

Long may Bruno's revolution continue! UTV

Agree with most of what's been said on this thread! Excellent post from Beechy first up.

Whilst our home form was good last season apart from Wigan and 1 or 2 other games I never felt particularly enthralled. I'm not just saying that as I wasn't a Page fan as said position wise it was about what I expected but the style of football was largely dire. Lets be honest the last 3 games Burton, Walsall and Barnsley were awful and the was some tosh in the middle like Scunny and Fleetwood where we simply didn't do enough.

Long may Bruno's revolution continue! UTV

Said this the other day to someone, last season we were winning a lot but it wasn't great to watch, this season every home game so far has been really entertaining, & is the sort of football to bring the fans back.

Away form is obviously the main focus with it being so bad last season, but I haven't missed a single game this season yet, & aside from Bury (& Carlisle in the cup), the other away performances have been pretty decent. Some tweaking needed still, but if we sort out a few problems, we are not far from being a really good side away.

The good thing is we aren't really firing on all cylinders yet but are performing much better than I expected with all the changes. I can only see us getting better once we've settled and a few tweaks here and there take there course. I must admit I was very apprehensive before the season started but very optimistic now and enjoying the football again.

Only seen the home games so far and I am pleasantly surprised at the progress so far. I think we will improve as Tosh says above and the squad overall has quality in depth. I think we will surprise a few teams this season and Bruno does seem more tactically aware than our previous two managers.

Archived