onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summary of the Chairman Q&A so far

robf

my impression of Brown is that he is professional enough just to get on with the job to the best of his ability. I doubt he cares too much about whether it says caretaker or manager on the door. He has a chance to impress and will try to do so. If Smurf had made him manager there would have been criticism for going for an ''easy'' option, if he continues keeping Brown as caretaker there is criticism that he does that too - cant really win on this one if other choices are not available or unwilling to come to the Vale.

if Brown keeps us up then in my opinion that is the harder choice as to whether to give him the job full time or not for next season

There will be criticism whichever way he goes, of course there will but that criticism will be simply down to footballing opinions. Football is full of that, so if he can't take it, he's in the wrong profession.

The criticism he's getting from me is the way the whole thing has been handled. He's shown no leadership in the situation what so ever, and the knock on effect is that it has had an impact on the club in many different ways. He should of either appointed Brown, or appointed someone else, within 2 weeks of Bruno's resignation. Look at other clubs that lost their Managers around the xmas period, all have appointed a new manager, all acted quickly.

We've gone through a whole transfer window without a Manager. It creates instability. Players will be reluctant to come to us as the man responsible for bringing them in could be gone soon. We're now almost in March, and the situation still isn't resolved. It shows that Smurf simply doesn't know what to do, which shows incompetence and a lack of leadership and conviction.

You say your "impression of Brown is that he is professional enough just to get on with the job to the best of his ability. I doubt he cares too much about whether it says caretaker or manager on the door". I agree he's professional, but I'd guess (like many footballers / managers / employees) he'd like stability and certainty that he's fully supported and has the confidence of his employer. 2 months after being appointed caretaker; he still doesn't know if he's going to get the job full time, he's lost 3 of his best players, he's been unable to secure any of his main transfer targets (which is still happening now), we've edged into the relegation zone, we're on a terrible run of form, and his Chairman has just come out and said he's not first or even second choice for the job.

I feel so sorry for Brown. To have Smurf as your Chairman must be an absolute nightmare. It makes you realise how much of an amazing job Page did under the circumstances.

Advert

There will be criticism whichever way he goes, of course there will but that criticism will be simply down to footballing opinions. Football is full of that, so if he can't take it, he's in the wrong profession.

The criticism he's getting from me is the way the whole thing has been handled. He's shown no leadership in the situation what so ever, and the knock on effect is that it has had an impact on the club in many different ways. He should of either appointed Brown, or appointed someone else, within 2 weeks of Bruno's resignation. Look at other clubs that lost their Managers around the xmas period, all have appointed a new manager, all acted quickly.

We've gone through a whole transfer window without a Manager. It creates instability. Players will be reluctant to come to us as the man responsible for bringing them in could be gone soon. We're now almost in March, and the situation still isn't resolved. It shows that Smurf simply doesn't know what to do, which shows incompetence and a lack of leadership and conviction.

You say your "impression of Brown is that he is professional enough just to get on with the job to the best of his ability. I doubt he cares too much about whether it says caretaker or manager on the door". I agree he's professional, but I'd guess (like many footballers / managers / employees) he'd like stability and certainty that he's fully supported and has the confidence of his employer. 2 months after being appointed caretaker; he still doesn't know if he's going to get the job full time, he's lost 3 of his best players, he's been unable to secure any of his main transfer targets (which is still happening now), we've edged into the relegation zone, we're on a terrible run of form, and his Chairman has just come out and said he's not first or even second choice for the job.

I feel so sorry for Brown. To have Smurf as your Chairman must be an absolute nightmare. It makes you realise how much of an amazing job Page did under the circumstances.

fair comments

i suspect that being caretaker manager - Michael Brown knows exactly the situation and that he isnt first choice. otherwise he would be official manager rather than caretaker. all he can do is keep us up and see where it goes from there

But..what Brown does now know is that he'll only get 'promoted' from caretaker if others turn it down? That keeping us up won't be enough if others want the job??

What a vote of confidence for Michael Brown!!! Another gaff.

Tbh its a big balls up anyway,to have a caretaker manager still in charge after 10 games with not even naming him until the end of the season with players not knowing one way or the other who will be in charge,this cant be helping our current situation.

Norman says good managers are waiting for a Championship,i cant go with that,a manager will want a job BUT at the right money and imo that will be the problem

Post (& replies to it) deleted due to personal abuse.

Keep it on topic guys, would be nice to have a constructive thread without any bickering. The result of this could be something positive, & actually beneficial to both the club & fans.

I have produced several blog posts from the various Norman Smuthwaite replies.

I appreciate that there are many posts across several threads so the intention of this thread is to put the responses into one place so that they can be read by anyone who doesn't want to plough through two days worth of forum posts.

First off, here are the various blog posts highlighting some things that have been said. Each of these is clickable and links to the relevant blog post:

I've tried to make the articles as impartial as possible and picked out comments that I felt were interesting. Obviously these articles are not a comprehensive list of everything that has been said (there's a limit to how much I can read, digest and produce articles from) but I hope they help anyone who has come in here and struggled to follow the conversation as it leaps from thread to thread and over hundreds of posts.

More posts will follow but in the meantime if anyone wants to point out any comments I have missed can you please PM me with a link and I will add to this thread.

I would also reiterate a post I posted earlier today. This is an open offer and stills stands. I personally think that if there is dialogue with the chairman and the fans then it should occur in a more structured manner. My post reads:

I have made this offer in the past and I am still more than happy to have the following in place:

1. A dedicated forum set up for questions to the Chairman

2. The chairman can then read them and provide answers to the questions whenever is convenient (via PM or email to me)

3. I will then publish each question and answer on both the forum and the OVF front page (as well as the various OVF social media accounts) on a regular basis (e.g. weekly or monthly)

This would allow fans and owner to engage in a civilised Q&A session but without the personal abuse and without people having to wade through the confusion of multiple posts and threads to do so.

I am very happy to put all the above in place if Norman wants it. I personally think it would be a better way of answering the questions and concerns on here but that's just my opinion.

Thanks,

Rob

I only wish our owner could put his points across a tenth as cogently as you've just done, Rob. Written English really isn't his strong suit - I'd defy the Bletchley Park codebreakers to crack 70 per cent of what he says - which only adds to the confusion, scepticism and hostility surrounding his ownership and further emphasises the need for a proper public relations and marketing approach by Port Vale, rather than his random appearances on OVF and Twitter (though they're marginally better than the silence we get otherwise).

A monthly Q+A session on here between fans and Norman would be a terrific idea I think a personal face to face open meeting would be too volatile given the feelings of some fans comments on OVF some just can't help themselves with the abuse!

I suppose it would be a way to stop fans making stuff up when it's only a one way street at least Norman could explain why he does or says things that affect the club!

In the meantime any other questions can be directed to the 'new' CEO at the next Supporters Club meeting hopefully a chance to meet him and put questions/concerns to him, hopefully they should match comments that Norman has mentioned on here!

A monthly Q+A session on here between fans and Norman would be a terrific idea I think a personal face to face open meeting would be too volatile given the feelings of some fans comments on OVF some just can't help themselves with the abuse!

I suppose it would be a way to stop fans making stuff up when it's only a one way street at least Norman could explain why he does or says things that affect the club!

In the meantime any other questions can be directed to the 'new' CEO at the next Supporters Club meeting hopefully a chance to meet him and put questions/concerns to him, hopefully they should match comments that Norman has mentioned on here!

Perhaps concentrating on the period since Norman handed over in October, and how he sees the future?

Only abuse i've seen so far, unless i've missed something, have been directed towards people that disagree with the management of the club. Today is a good start. Hopefully the debate from now on can be conducted in the way a few of us on here have done so far. It's drawn out some dialogue with the Chairman. Far from settled, but it's a start. Well done Rob and OVF, and whilst I disagree with a lot of what he's said, especially the insinuation I should do something explicit, and painful, with a flagpole, well done Smurf for his part.

Sent from my D6603 using the onevalefan mobile app

I only wish our owner could put his points across a tenth as cogently as you've just done, Rob. Written English really isn't his strong suit - I'd defy the Bletchley Park codebreakers to crack 70 per cent of what he says - which only adds to the confusion, scepticism and hostility surrounding his ownership and further emphasises the need for a proper public relations and marketing approach by Port Vale, rather than his random appearances on OVF and Twitter (though they're marginally better than the silence we get otherwise).

TBH l can hardly see the print l am writing or reading so long essays are out of the question as it would take so long to type and proof read

Also l cannot foresee any member of staff enganging in this way due to knowledge or authority

Only abuse i've seen so far, unless i've missed something, have been directed towards people that disagree with the management of the club. Today is a good start. Hopefully the debate from now on can be conducted in the way a few of us on here have done so far. It's drawn out some dialogue with the Chairman. Far from settled, but it's a start. Well done Rob and OVF, and whilst I disagree with a lot of what he's said, especially the insinuation I should do something explicit, and painful, with a flagpole, well done Smurf for his part.

Sent from my D6603 using the onevalefan mobile app

Due to restrictions Twitter does not get the true message across unless its abuse that seems to work

Is this thread really doing the reputation and dignity of a great club, PORT VALE, any good ?

It's already turned into a joke and any Stoke fans and others who dislike Vale must be ******* themselves reading it.

I don't give a damn about the individuals involved and in the past would have said the club will be here long after anyone who posts on this thread, not so sure now.

Well... that's kind of the point. Norman Smurthwaite has been posting on the forum but the answers to various questions are spread over multiple and often long threads.

So, to make it easier I have tried to combine some of the replies into this single thread to make it easier to get an idea of the issues discussed.

Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived