onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Amoros and Pereira

TylerB

Are these two even still part of the club? I always thought Amoros looked alright earlier on in the season, keeps things simple and always puts in a shift. Yet Brown obviously doesn't fancy him for whatever reason.

Pereira seems to have some talent but perhaps still needs to adapt to the physical nature of the football over here, so fair enough.

But I'd certainly like to keep De Freitas and Amoros next season whoever's in charge, as they both can offer something and also seem genuinely eager to do well for the club.

Advert

The whole conundrum of these pair, Shalaj, Mbamba etc etc has been well documented, find it strange they have been jettisoned completely.

As glad as i am to see the likes of Reeves and Turner get an opportunity it puzzles me.

I thought Pereira has had one or two cameos, Bris Rov away he was okay ish.

We just have not seen enough of them to have a clue, clearly it isn't just Brown though as Bruno also didn't give them game time and he signed them !!!

clearly it isn't just Brown though as Bruno also didn't give them game time and he signed them !!!

Exactly. I tend to ignore Brown's critics when they list players that they believe should be playing. Something amazing happens to Vale players that don't make the squad, they suddenly turn into Messi or Ronaldo. Remember Campion, then Hooper...both were legends in the making when they were nowhere near the team. Look at the criticism Hooper is getting now he's a regular.

At the end of the day we have to accept what the manger says. He sees them in training and reserve games and observes their fitness and stamina levels at close quarters.

The only thing I will say is that it must be very hard to come over here, to a different country, adjusting to the language and culture, trying to find somewhere to live, away from family and friends, in a completely new environment. So perhaps we need a bit more understanding and patience with them. And I haven't even mentioned the different style of football and the greater physicality, and colder, wetter weather.

I'd probably give a few of them an extended chance. Knops, Cecilia, De Freitas and Amoros come to mind but I don't think from what I've seen of the others that they are suitable. And even the ones I've listed haven't pulled up any trees really.

Knops has done ok because he's a bit more physical than the other left backs but nothing special overall. The two midfield lads haven't scored or assisted any have they? And big Reg has got a few but blotted his copybook last weekend and many would say that he's not up to it.

Should be an interesting summer.

I wrote on here back in November after the Charlton game away when I had seen enough of all Bruno's foreign imports that the only two I thought had anything about them were Knops and De Freitas. Subsequent developments have tended to endorse my initial view. None of the foreign legion midfielders have done anything to say they should be ahead of young Billy Reeves for example.

Cecilia is not better than Dan Turner and as Dan matures he will play at a higher level. I have no complaints about the foreign players' attitude, they are simply not cut out for the cut and thrust of football in England at our level.

Two different managers, one of which signed them, with two different sets of backroom staff have not consistently picked either as starters or even included them on the bench for many games, that says loads.

I believe both are still under contract for next season so after a years experience of English football and a full pre-season they may be better equipped.

They're both *****

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Thank you, John Motson!

I haven't seen anything from Amoros to get me excited but he does appear to have some competence so may - may - be ok in the future. Pereira is pous from what I've seen, Quentin is an apt name for him as he's about as tough as Quentin Crisp. Unless he has a transformation his level is about where we had him from, lower level non-league. In my experience the only countries with any depth to their leagues outside the top division or two are England and Germany. I've seen a fair bit of German Bundeslige 2 and 3 and the standard is similar to our Championship and L1 with some well supported clubs. That doesn't apply in other countries where our regional National League clubs would fare well at their third levels.

Some of the others have me wondering too. Jizzum Sludge seems to be on the fringe after being missing for ages but he appears to have gained a fair bit of weight? At least he can have a punt from distance.

I'd probably give a few of them an extended chance. Knops, Cecilia, De Freitas and Amoros come to mind but I don't think from what I've seen of the others that they are suitable. And even the ones I've listed haven't pulled up any trees really.

I agree with that 100%. None of the four have been outstanding although Knops has been one of our more consistently solid players over the course of the season. However, out of all the foreign imports, they are the four that are worthy of giving a longer opportunity as they all offer something. Knows is a solid defender who offers consistency and versatility given he can play at left back or centre back. De Freitas has energy, pace and a strong work ethic and again offers versatility. I always liked the look of Amoros when he played, very neat and tidy on the ball and rarely wasted a pass. And Big Reg- well we all know his assets and limitations but i still feel there is something there and its easy to forget he's still only a young lad despite the fact he doesn't look like one. In fact, aside from Knops, the other 3 are all young players who will only improve given the right guidance and crucially, if we go down which is likely they are the four that don't mind a challenge and could mix it with the more physical nature of League 2.

Shalaj mystifies me too, although admittedly he's not played in England before he one of the few to have actually played a reasonable amount of games in 2 top flights in Europe(Romania and Switzerland). The remainder of the foreign lads we signed played Portuguese, French or Dutch lower leagues so you can perhaps see why they haven't been up to it.

That's not to say the standard in Romania or Switzerland is great but teams from those divisions do play in the Champs/Europa League. But despite making the bench most weeks he barely gets on the pitch! The odd cameo he's had he has looked lively if a bit one footed. Surely there is something there as a winger he could have given us?

Obviously I don't see him in training but ala Amoros and Pereira it does seem Brown just doesn't fancy them at all.

Going back to the thread I do feel for Amoros, a couple of games earlier in the season he looked one of the best players in our team(Scunny at home I think his best match) and this is a player who will have come through the youth system at Monaco with players like Mbappe. Surely there is some level of skill there or Monaco would have booted him out long ago? Of course he needs to adapt to the English game but you'd have thought he'd have at least forced his way into the 16/18 especially with Tavares who imo is frankly dreadful!

Whatever happens on Sunday I do hope we keep faith with 2 or 3 of the lads from abroad and they come off to some extent(even if that be in League Two) as whatever their limitations they have tried and seem willing to learn or they'd have been on the first plane home like Saleiro!

Archived