onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Starting 11 18/19

TylerB

It's becoming much clearer now as we probably won't make too many more signings now - maybe loan players once Barnett, Lainton and Davis move on.

At this moment in time I can see perhaps a diamond variant of 4-4-2 being in the pipeline:

4-1-2-1-2: Brown; Gibbons, Legge, Smith, Montano; Joyce; Worrall, Hannant; Dodds; Pope, Miller.

The signing of Miller suggests we'll go with two up top - so it's either this or a possible 3-5-2. Either way, it's not hard to see how strong that line up is compared to last season.

Advert

We've got different options for sure but I've no idea how we'll line up. Last season Aspin seemed critical of using 2 up front because of the space it gives the opposition. So that makes me wonder if we'll start off more cautiously in games.

------------ Brown ----------------

Gibbons -- Legge -- Smith -- Montano

---------- Joyce -- Oyeleke ---------

Worrall -------------------- Hannant

---------------- Dodds --------------

---------------- Pope --------------

---------- Joyce -- Hannant ---------

Worrall -------------------- Daniels

4-1-2-1-2: Brown; Gibbons, Legge, Smith, Montano; Joyce; Worrall, Hannant; Dodds; Pope, Miller.

I like this one because if Worrall and Hannant go narrow it allows the full backs to push up with Joyce dropping to the back to plug any gaps.

But we've got to find away to link up better than we did last season and give Pope or Miller more service. Reading Millers interview today and he says he likes to play on a defenders shoulder so if we find a way to be threading balls through then we could see the best of him.

We've got different options for sure but I've no idea how we'll line up. Last season Aspin seemed critical of using 2 up front because of the space it gives the opposition. So that makes me wonder if we'll start off more cautiously in games.

---------- Joyce -- Oyeleke ---------

Worrall -------------------- Hannant

---------- Joyce -- Hannant ---------

Worrall -------------------- Daniels

I like this one because if Worrall and Hannant go narrow it allows the full backs to push up with Joyce dropping to the back to plug any gaps.

But we've got to find away to link up better than we did last season and give Pope or Miller more service. Reading Millers interview today and he says he likes to play on a defenders shoulder so if we find a way to be threading balls through then we could see the best of him.

Aspin didn't trust anyone he could play alongside Tom Pope to be starting every week, nothing more, nothing less. There's no way he's bought in Miller not to play him every week when he's ft and available.

This years starting 11 on paper is looking very strong. I’d go with this so far.

Brown

Gibbons

Legge

Smith

Montano

Worral

Manny

Joyce

Hannant

Miller

Pope

Bench:

Hornby

Vassell

Rawlinson

Kay

Dodds

Daniels

Kanu

Much more like how I see it. Another wide player, a genuine winger that can beat players, and we're good to go.

This years starting 11 on paper is looking very strong. I’d go with this so far.

Brown

Gibbons

Legge

Smith

Montano

Worral

Manny

Joyce

Hannant

Miller

Pope

Bench:

Hornby

Vassell

Rawlinson

Kay

Dodds

Daniels

Kanu

Yes, think that's how we'll start - and what an improvement over last season. Reasons to be cheerful :smile:

Yes, think that's how we'll start - and what an improvement over last season. Reasons to be cheerful :smile:

I think the bench looks a bit light on experienced game changers. kay is OK to bring on to strengthen the midfield to hold on to a lead and Dodds has always been a good impact sub but the rest are unknowns really.

I think the bench looks a bit light on experienced game changers. kay is OK to bring on to strengthen the midfield to hold on to a lead and Dodds has always been a good impact sub but the rest are unknowns really.
Why do you need experience to change a game? Surely with the pace of the likes of kanu that would be a way to change it

Aspin didn't trust anyone he could play alongside Tom Pope to be starting every week, nothing more, nothing less. There's no way he's bought in Miller not to play him every week when he's ft and available.

I think you’re right in that Miller (unless he self implodes) will start every game, but where does that leave Pope ?

Pope scores goals when he is the focal point of the attack. All the time we look to cross for Pope’s head. But Miller likes the ball at his feet.

If both play up front together, I don’t see Pope getting the goals he has done as it’s doubtful we will be continually looking for his head, which is obviously a source for many of his goals.

I realise that the two together will give different options, but I feel this combination and possible change in playing style will affect Pope’s goal output.

But let’s hope not !

Today’s friendly is not indicative at all of what team will start the first game. Tonge and Calveley ran the midfield second half but they won’t start will they.

I thought most of our new non league signings looked exactly that today. Dodds was a class above, Legge looked leggy and couldn't handle Malbon, new keeper looked good and Joyce was solid. Worrall did OK. Pugh had a steady game. Luckily this was only the reserve team today wasn't it?

Archived