onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Starting 11 18/19

TylerB

If we’re starting montano ( a left winger ) at centre half this season when we have legge smith and rawlinson then I’ll be very surprised and worried.

The worry on that left hand side would be the lack of defensive training for want of a better phrase. It could be an area that teams try to exploit if (for arguments sake) its Monty and Hannant there.

Advert

Why montano there?

Seems Aspo is keen to play that kind of a system so with that in mind these are the players I chose to fit the system. I would prefer he played as he did at the latter part of last season but am willing to see how Montano and the team play in this new system before I can comment further.

Can't say I'm particularly enthralled by the prospect of Monty at CB

1. Professional defenders have spent years training to develop an instinct for positioning, pressing, marking etc. Monty, having been trained an as attacking winger, won't have that

2. Its a waste of his ability going forward. As surprisingly competent as he was defensively, the best part of his stint at LB was him running from deep and skinning a few helpless defenders.

3. Who on earth will play on the left side? Hannant? Bit of a waste of his attacking ability if we're going to burden him with the entire left side and all the defensive responsibilities that goes with it.

Honestly don't understand this. I like Monty but this just seems a step too far, and jumping on a trend for the fashion of it. Walker was decent at RCB for England as he was a RB and not a LW as Monty is, and had been trained by Pep so was very comfortable on the ball and had a good understanding of positioning. In January Montano was an attacking left winger and now we're hoping to roll with him at centre half. I trust Aspo but this is a massive gamble and one I can't see paying off the way he's hoping.

Keep it simple. If we're going back 5 Monty suits LWB. Back 4, he was fine at LB. This seems to be being to fancy for the sake of it.

Think everyone has a worry about Montano but he wasn't much good as a winger. Don't see the harm in looking but would be a very brave call against Cambridge.

Wing back is the new winger for a lot of teams, so personally I would see Hannatt doing well there.

It's too early to second guess the team even if it is fun to try!

I'd say that Dodds is in pole position to play behind Pope and from what I can gather Rawlinson has impressed whereas Legge hasn't looked so good.

Worrall, Joyce, Brown, Montano & Pope are shoe-ins I would have thought but many other positions are still up for grabs.

I think the point above about ensuring that we don't get overrun in midfield is a good one, which leads me to think that we might go 3.5.2 or play Dodds in the hole if Miller is not fully match fit.

I think Worrall offers more mobility than Dodds. I can't see Worrall being left out of the side at all. Aspin could try 3-4-3 like he dis the other night with Pope up front but with Dodds and Worrall playing off him even.

Can't say I'm particularly enthralled by the prospect of Monty at CB

1. Professional defenders have spent years training to develop an instinct for positioning, pressing, marking etc. Monty, having been trained an as attacking winger, won't have that

2. Its a waste of his ability going forward. As surprisingly competent as he was defensively, the best part of his stint at LB was him running from deep and skinning a few helpless defenders.

3. Who on earth will play on the left side? Hannant? Bit of a waste of his attacking ability if we're going to burden him with the entire left side and all the defensive responsibilities that goes with it.

Honestly don't understand this. I like Monty but this just seems a step too far, and jumping on a trend for the fashion of it. Walker was decent at RCB for England as he was a RB and not a LW as Monty is, and had been trained by Pep so was very comfortable on the ball and had a good understanding of positioning. In January Montano was an attacking left winger and now we're hoping to roll with him at centre half. I trust Aspo but this is a massive gamble and one I can't see paying off the way he's hoping.

Keep it simple. If we're going back 5 Monty suits LWB. Back 4, he was fine at LB. This seems to be being to fancy for the sake of it.

Think I pretty much agree with this, particularly the attention Montano would get from opposing forwards. He would be seen as the inexperienced link in our defence, a bit like Gibbo was in his first season, and it might not work out too well. It would also be a waste given Montano’s pace down the flanks.

Don’t think it’s a fad though - rather an attempt by Aspo to accommodate Hannant who he thinks very highly of. His dilemma is that, if he plays Hannant wide with three proper centre backs in defence, he can’t play Montano. If he moves Hannant to centre mid to accommodate Montano, that probably precludes playing Manny and Joyce together, unless he plays Hannant behind Pope in a midfield three. That, of course, precludes playing Worral there, which is what I think he’s minded to do. Ergo, play Hannant wide and Montano in a back three.

So maybe the clue to this is to think where Hannant will play.

Just my opinion, mind 🧐

No disrespect Hagrid but I assume Aspin, Rudge,Nogan and Brabin all have more football knowledge than me or you so if they see it as he would suit that role I would trust their opinions over mine or yours. I know it’s a forum and it’s good to have different opinions but give them a chance before firing it down after all we all thought it was utter madness moving Montano to left back but that didn’t go too badly.

Jim Gannon and Michael Brown have also go far far more knowledge than you and look at how that turned out?..

We all have opinions and just because someone’s the manager doesn’t mean they are correct and do the right things every week.

I would never in a million years play Montano as a left sided centre back that’s madness and he will quickly change that if he goes that way I’m certain.

Leon Legge hasn’t come to sit on the bench that’s for sure so he will play 100%.

If he wants 3 centre backs then smith and Rawlinson to join him. Gibbons and Monty wing backs.

Isn’t it great to be able to debate about a proper squad of players not some rag tad bunch of so called players like we have had over the last few seasons different formations players playing for a starting place so this is what it’s like to have a proper manager

It's going to (probably) take a bit of time for this squad to gel, given the big influx of players again this summer.

Currently I'd go:

HOME:

Brown

Gibbo Legge Smith Monty

Woz Joyce Manny Hannant

Dodds Pope

AWAY:

Brown

Gibbo Rawlinson Legge Smith Monty

Woz Joyce Manny Hannant

Pope

That leaves Quigley and hopefully at some point Miller on the bench as impact subs as well as some of the pacey players whose names escape me.

It seems that McKeown has gone as Aspin says he is an old fashioned left back and he's keener at the moment to look at wing backs.

This would explain why he's tried Montano in the back three, so as to make room for Hannant on the left, I imagine.

Think I pretty much agree with this, particularly the attention Montano would get from opposing forwards. He would be seen as the inexperienced link in our defence, a bit like Gibbo was in his first season, and it might not work out too well. It would also be a waste given Montano’s pace down the flanks.

The difference there though is Gibbons has been a right back through all his time at the club, so that basic defensive knowledge and positonal awareness was already there. They were just trying to target his rawness, and I don't think it was a tactic that necessarily worked that much. Monty on the other hand hasn't got the benefit of years as a defender, he's got to learn the basics. I hope that isn't exposed in a back 3 because hes going to need a lot of coaching through games by the players around him and the staff whilst he gets used to that position.

I agree with other posts about him being better coming on to the play and driving forward from the back. Being part of a back 3 will probably suppress that. But if Monty went to left wing back it could see Aspin having to leave out Hannant and I think he wants both Hannant and Montano in the side. These are good problems to have I guess when you consider what we've had this last couple of years.

Christ alive.

Whats the point in this website existing then? All of us to meekly repeat "I'll give it a chance"?

Have I got to force myself to be excited by this, or am I allowed an opinion to the contrary?

Join the club Haggers.:laugh:

I like three centrebacks,two wing backs.Neither Gibbons nor Monty are the best of defenders,3 CBs gives them cover when they bomb forward.I like Manny,Joyce,Woz,Hannant contesting 3 places CM.All decent footballers.Pope plus one with some pace up top.

Archived