onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

5 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Jones got a lot of harsh criticiem, today - yes, he gave the ball away...mostly when our midfield went missing...but he was also doing most of the work in that back line, so had the ball more often than anyone else. Another point: we were fairly awful but their GK made 3 good saves, and we hit the crossbar once or twice?

Have to say I didn’t hear any criticism of Jones, during or after the game, in fact everyone I’ve spoken to afterwards has praised the same two players, Harrison and Jones.  Obviously it depends where you sit.

Advert

8 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Jones got a lot of harsh criticiem, today - yes, he gave the ball away...mostly when our midfield went missing...but he was also doing most of the work in that back line, so had the ball more often than anyone else. Another point: we were fairly awful but their GK made 3 good saves, and we hit the crossbar once or twice?

A lot? Really? 

Thought we were dreadful for 75 minutes. Clarke seemed a bit offended when Bowers suggested as such but he was right. We dominated possession but we were so ponderous. Way too slow in the build up and lots of aimless balls across the back.

As others have said, playing Garrity and Conlon as fairly deep lying central midfielders was a disaster. Pett should have been in to help dictate the play from a pivot position and Garrity and Conlon are only effective when playing much further forward. Garrity is not a good passer and Conlon is too slow in the middle to move the ball on quickly.

As soon as Butterworth came on we had someone to knit together the midfield and run with the ball at feet.

I felt a bit sorry for Politic to be honest. He kept being given the ball in really tight areas, which gave him no opportunity to turn and run. That's down to the midfield for me and the slow build up provided zero space.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

I can’t see Pett having a sniff if we’ve resorted to Conlon and Garrity holding and Dennis further forward. Even with no Walker he is left on the bench. I suppose DC was trying to set up to attack so it’s not as simple as him not even being picked to replace Walker, but still for me he would be playing. I still think 4312 is the right way to go, but with the right mix of players, and that depends on who we’re playing. I’m glad we didn’t set up with 5 at the back against FGR at home, but the personnel were wrong. Tbf I would have picked probably 8 of the 11 but not Conlon that’s for sure. 

McCarron, absolute tripe, played like the Stoke he is. Plenty of well deserved boos from The Paddock, hopefully he’s never seen in a Vale shirt again
I think that's massively unfair. I agree that he doesn't look up to it but it wasn't for lack of effort. He just lacks physicality and doesn't seem to have any real distinguishing features that make him stand out. Looks like a lad that will slip into non league to me. This weird, immature obsession with the fact that he's from Stoke is just like kids stuff.

44 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Hall may be class but he didn’t show that class in his last few starts and was dropped after some poor performances.  Jones came in and has been one of our best players, only going off today due to injury.  On current form Jones, if fit, won’t be dropped for Hall.

Maybe so but I think it’s very unfair how he just dropped out of the squad when fit. We’re severely lacking height as we saw today and although I like Jones I always feel there is an error in him or something rash. If we’re sticking to 352 personally I’d move Jones to LWB and bring Hall back in. For me that strengthens the back 3, I no Jones hasn’t been brilliant at LWB but he is certainly a step up on Mccarron and Benning seems to have disappeared as well. 

I can’t see Pett having a sniff if we’ve resorted to Conlon and Garrity holding and Dennis further forward. Even with no Walker he is left on the bench. I suppose DC was trying to set up to attack so it’s not as simple as him not even being picked to replace Walker, but still for me he would be playing. I still think 4312 is the right way to go, but with the right mix of players, and that depends on who we’re playing. I’m glad we didn’t set up with 5 at the back against FGR at home, but the personnel were wrong. Tbf I would have picked probably 8 of the 11 but not Conlon that’s for sure. 
The balance is all wrong. Even against poor teams, you still need someone in midfield who can put their foot on the ball. Conlon can but is too slow in that deep position.

You need a deep lying midfielder to dictate with Garrity and Conlon much further forward. The wing backs were also nullified...Benning needs to come back in and probably Worrall to help push us further up the field.

16 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Have to say I didn’t hear any criticism of Jones, during or after the game, in fact everyone I’ve spoken to afterwards has praised the same two players, Harrison and Jones.  Obviously it depends where you sit.

Railway Stand - there was a lot, but mainly from the same people.

42 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I'm not going to bother reading back through pages of what will, probably, be mostly negative comments - and deservedly so! 

Yes - we were fairly awful for much of the game...but I would be embarrassed to be a FGR fan, tonight! They hit the deck even easier and for less reason then Swinedon and could...should...have had a couple sent off! As for the ref - I would be ashamed at picking up my cash for that performance. Haven't seen the penalty yet, but their GK could have been sent off for his antics before Ellis showed how little they bothered him! 

4 points from the last 2 games is a good return, though!

5 year old grandson, Zak, enjoyed his first live game! UTV VTID 

Pleased that your grandson enjoyed today. I too was 5yrs old when my grandad took me to Vale Park for my first live game and 68 years later I'm still smitten! Hope your grandson will be saying the same when he's in his 70s.

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Ok for what it's worth ...I thought FGR set up to strangle the game, smother it if you like, I said the first goal would be pivotal and McCarrons mistake of trying to play out instead of finding Hamil Rd really cost us because that allowed them to suck the life out of the game, their second goal was well executed from the kind of free kick we can only dream about.

Over the 95 minutes we deserved to win the game the stats prove this, we were the only ones looking to get forward with any intent, as I say they smothered the game and I don't understand why the Ref. doesn't book the time wasting the first time it happens, it would send a message out and it would soon stop.

As for the Smith incident, I fail to see why that is not a red, he kicked out at him, early in the game or late in the game he should of walked.

They were really poor. I think I said earlier in the thread that had we got our noses in front we would have gone on to win the game comfortably by a few goals. We didn't play well today for most of the game and a fair few players didn't really turn up, the likes of Massey and Politic. But on that evidence we have a better football team than they do.

15 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

The balance is all wrong. Even against poor teams, you still need someone in midfield who can put their foot on the ball. Conlon can but is too slow in that deep position.

You need a deep lying midfielder to dictate with Garrity and Conlon much further forward. 

We’ve got a really good one but he’s currently on the treatment table. 

Archived