onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

We’re now in League 2.
In Nathan Smith’s last season in League 2, only 2 years ago, he played 44/46 league games and won promotion.
Some argue that he shouldn’t start next season.
It just doesn’t add up. We have compelling, recent evidence that he’s a good League 2 defender. 
He's average. Before that season we were largely dreadful since we came back down. He was a constant throughout that period. In the 8 years since Smith broke through, we've conceded an average of 60 a season. In the 8 years prior to that, we conceded an average of 59 a season. He's bang average. Just my opinion, of course.

Edit: I also think that Connor Hall made the difference defensively in our promotion season, not Smith. His lack of control against Swindon in the first leg that led to their corner was shocking.

It's not all on Smith, of course it isn't, I just don't rate him, at all.
  • Like 1

Advert

3 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I'm a little bit worried we've only signed 1 more player since I posted this.

For context, these are the number of signings made by L2 clubs:

6 = Doncaster
5 = Cheltenham, Chesterfield
4 = Accrington, Wimbledon, Barrow, Carlisle, Gillingham, MK Dons
3 = Bradford, Notts, Salford, Swindon
2 = Colchester, Grimsby, Port Vale
1 = Fleetwood, Harrogate, Tranmere, Walsall
0 = Bromley, Crewe, Morecambe, Newport

Happy with Curtis and Croasdale, but hoped we'd have a couple more in the building of a similar ilk. Plus also moving some of the dossers on.

For even more context I'd like to see those figures against each clubs outgoing players too . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philmpv said:
8 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:
We’re now in League 2.
In Nathan Smith’s last season in League 2, only 2 years ago, he played 44/46 league games and won promotion.
Some argue that he shouldn’t start next season.
It just doesn’t add up. We have compelling, recent evidence that he’s a good League 2 defender. 

He's average. Before that season we were largely dreadful since we came back down. He was a constant throughout that period. In the 8 years since Smith broke through, we've conceded an average of 60 a season. In the 8 years prior to that, we conceded an average of 59 a season. He's bang average. Just my opinion, of course.

It’s a team game in case you hadn’t noticed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

So is Smith, whether it be a complete inability to control the ball, wrestling a player to concede a peno, doing the obligatory Smith Shank when trying to pass it, or just passing the ball from a free kick to the oppo striker. Yet he's the first name on a lot of people's team sheet. For me, a complete overhaul of the defence needed, with Smith as a backup if he has to stay.

Smith has been consistently better as a defender than you’re making out. 

8 minutes ago, the_tench said:

For even more context I'd like to see those figures against each clubs outgoing players too . 

Off top of head Donny lost 2 starters and so have Crewe. Based on what I recall from the play offs. 

4 minutes ago, philmpv said:
5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:
Smith has been consistently better as a defender than you’re making out. 

Just my opinion pal. We're clearly at odds on the issue

You’ve mentioned a handful of major mistakes that have lead to goals. As a defender who’s played 400+ games for us that’s not bad going. 

You’ve mentioned a handful of major mistakes that have lead to goals. As a defender who’s played 400+ games for us that’s not bad going. 
With all of the will in the world, I don't have an photographic memory. It's the horrendous ones that stick in my mind. Pretty sure there'll be more.

9 minutes ago, the_tench said:

(Outgoings in brackets)

6 = Doncaster (8)
5 = Cheltenham (15), Chesterfield (5)
4 = Accrington (12), Wimbledon (11), Barrow (10), Carlisle (9), Gillingham (9), MK Dons (5)
3 = Bradford (11), Notts (7), Salford (7), Swindon (12)
2 = Colchester (7), Grimsby (13), Port Vale (4)
1 = Fleetwood (2), Harrogate (10), Tranmere (13), Walsall (6)
0 = Bromley (6), Crewe (8), Morecambe (18), Newport (9)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Smith is fine.

Just need a grizzly old experienced meathead next to him.

Ben Heneghan anyone?

30 years old. 6'3. Just released by Fleetwood. Played 37 times last season. 179 L1 appearances in the last 6 years. Manchester born.

Played under Moore at Sheff Wed too. 

Edited by valeparklife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Smith is fine.

Just need a grizzly old experienced meathead next to him.

Ben Heneghan anyone?

30 years old. 6'3. Just released by Fleetwood. Played 37 times last season. 179 L1 appearances in the last 6 years. Manchester born.

Played under Moore at Sheff Wed too. 

If he isn't good enough for Fleetwood, that doesn't bode well.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

If he isn't good enough for Fleetwood, that doesn't bode well.

A player I've always liked. Always shows up really well on the "aerial duals" stats.

Tried to find why he was released, can't see anything really.

Odd to play someone for 37 games then release them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Edit: I also think that Connor Hall made the difference defensively in our promotion season, not Smith. His lack of control against Swindon in the first leg that led to their corner was shocking.

It's not all on Smith, of course it isn't, I just don't rate him, at all.

You be careful you be upsetting them .

The Smith club .

Crikey we should be in prem by now he is that good .

Be talking about him forever more .

Let's hope if he remains a PVFC player he is not one of the better ones ,as that  means a lowly finish,maybe bottom 6  we need 10 superb players around him then he will get by with his  head everything attribute ,maybe if he reads the game better he would be in right position stop goals going in by getting rid of the  ball ain't that the job of central defender .

Oh no that will be the person who let the player cross it in not the golden one .

I actually enjoyed Lowe throwing himself at ball stopping it going in our net at times last season .

Come on ain't folk seen enough by now.

Move him on Moore.

• Confused 1