onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

1 hour ago, MrButton said:

Off topic, this is the only thread i follow, any news on the release date of the away shirt?

It was only released in late July in the last couple of seasons - don't know if that's the same this season.

Advert

Smithie is not a fullback nor wing back. The bigger the opposing striker the more he is brought down to earth (eg Andy Carroll). He is not quick nor a footballing centre back like Bobby Moore was. Hopefully DM sees this and plays him to his strength. One thing for sure, he will give 110% and not shirk any tackles.

• Like 3

Just now, jeffers said:

Smithie is not a fullback nor wing back. The bigger the opposing striker the more he is brought down to earth (eg Andy Carroll). He is not quick nor a footballing centre back like Bobby Moore was. Hopefully DM sees this and plays him to his strength. One thing for sure, he will give 110% and not shirk any tackles.

Always been best against the likes of Hanson( Bradford), Akinfenwa, Carroll as you said,  etc etc.

The thought that Vale could turn him into Beckenbauer or similar was fanciful at best and reckless.

Made him look terrible. I often criticised him. But play to his strengths ( defending) he'll be fine.

The arguments with Ripley were a feature last season. The bloke can't pass a football but ask him to head it clear or put in a tackle then he's our best out and out defender in League 2. 

• Like 3

Always been best against the likes of Hanson( Bradford), Akinfenwa, Carroll as you said,  etc etc.
The thought that Vale could turn him into Beckenbauer or similar was fanciful at best and reckless.
Made him look terrible. I often criticised him. But play to his strengths ( defending) he'll be fine.
The arguments with Ripley were a feature last season. The bloke can't pass a football but ask him to head it clear or put in a tackle then he's our best out and out defender in League 2. 
I remember Crosby saying in an interview 'Why shouldn't Smith be capable of playing out from the back?' (I paraphrase). It rang alarm bells with me because no matter how much training or work you did with him, he'd never have the ability to be a ball playing centre half. It was borderline suicidal for Crosby to think it was possible.
  • Like 4

Have to agree Smithy is a more than adequate league two defender! But must be played to his strengths. Just struggle to forget the Lincoln pass to there centre forward! What the f____ was that. ? 

Have to agree Smithy is a more than adequate league two defender! But must be played to his strengths. Just struggle to forget the Lincoln pass to there centre forward! What the f____ was that. ? 
That was one of several games last season where we were the better team in general play but handed out 2 goals on a plate and couldn't score for toffee.

Don't have a problem with Smudge in League 2 - it is where has spent most of his career, and his experience and fitness will be an asset to us next season - he will turn up and do a steady job because that is what he does at this level.   Like others say on here, if we were to go straight back up, I would look to replace him IF we have aspirations to be a top half team. If we are looking for a couple of seasons of consolidation (remember that?) and accept a middle to lower half of the table finish then he will again be a useful squad player, all the more so for being local and knowing the DNA of the club. But he does need someone who is aerially dominant next to him, and some pacy full backs to get back and cover.  The core of the team (providing we hang on to our best players) is already looking stronger with our two signings.  Strikers are now a must. Looking forward to the next signing - would be chuffed to get Paton on board. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

I remember Crosby saying in an interview 'Why shouldn't Smith be capable of playing out from the back?' (I paraphrase). It rang alarm bells with me because no matter how much training or work you did with him, he'd never have the ability to be a ball playing centre half. It was borderline suicidal for Crosby to think it was possible.

That's why Crosby shud of stayed at being a coach because he couldn't manage a P### up in a brewery nevermind a football team but he was a decent guy to be honest

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Im hoping after this season is done and dusted DM clears the decks and bins off all of the deadwood who's contacts end June next year because the majority of them are stealing a wage at the vale  

Bit premature, you may see some of those players come good and see us go up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Bit premature, you may see some of those players come good and see us go up. 

Then not be able to do it for us again in League One,so is that worth the risk to give them new deals?

The deadwood ones I mean no matter how they play this season,i dont mean the likes of Garrity etc

Edited by werstayinup
  • Thanks 1

I am hoping that some of the delay is because it takes time to negotiate any fees for players as well as maybe targeting the better calibre player means there is a lot of competition for their signatures so again that will take time while players decide what they want to do(bear in mind i am one of those impatient ones but i know signings will come).

I have to say although some League Two teams have signed a few players there have only been a few where i have thought i wish we had signed them,Madden being one but maybe others have signed quickly because the demand for them wasn't there and not because others are paying more than us. I  do actually think our wage structure has been relaxed

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I am hoping that some of the delay is because it takes time to negotiate any fees for players as well as maybe targeting the better calibre player means there is a lot of competition for their signatures so again that will take time while players decide what they want to do(bear in mind i am one of those impatient ones but i know signings will come).

I have to say although some League Two teams have signed a few players there have only been a few where i have thought i wish we had signed them,Madden being one but maybe others have signed quickly because the demand for them wasn't there and not because others are paying more than us. I  do actually think our wage structure has been relaxed

I hope so as for the fourth window in a row we currently seem to be doing our best transfer embargo impression.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1