onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2024

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

Maguire hasn’t been picked. 

Chilwell is another decent left back who I would have over an injured Trippier and Shaw. Saying that, he was shocking last time he played for England. Take Walker out of our defence and we have a really weak defence, all the more reason for Southgate to set the team up to attack.

I think Chilwell isn't quite the player he was a few years ago. Rightly left out for me.

• Like 1

Advert

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Maguire hasn’t been picked. 

Chilwell is another decent left back who I would have over an injured Trippier and Shaw. Saying that, he was shocking last time he played for England. Take Walker out of our defence and we have a really weak defence, all the more reason for Southgate to set the team up to attack.

Maguire was ruled out through injury.

Chilwells been appalling everytime he’s pulled on a England shirt and been injured most of the past 12 months 

13 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

We took the lead with a penalty that shouldn't have been too. We were on top then he subbed off Grealish who he just brought on and we went all defensive as they slaughtered us. He is an absolute wallop of a manager.

We are talking about Denmark, and Croatia in the semi before that. Not Argentina, not Brazil. You are the type of person that supports crap and wonder why we never win anything at both national and Port Vale level.

You talk bollox. I am still waiting for this big announcement at Vale you banged on about, Donno/Robbie Williams investing in Vale. Take some of your own medicine and stop talking dog <ovf censored>.

So we didn’t get “battered” by Denmark then? if you have to try and rewrite history to make your point don’t you think there is a chance you might be wrong 😂

3 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

I'm a huge Southgate fan and even more so after meeting him a couple of times over the past 12 month's. He loves everything England and everything he does for England its very much with the future in mind whilst integrating the past. 

Not many people will know this but Southgate's introduced something called the Legacy Cap where he's took it up on himself to to do a England "Hall of Fame" by presenting former players with Legacy Caps 

For eg he recently presented Steve Howey his England Legacy Cap (number 1058).

I go to all the England home & away games. Harry Maguire never lets England down. He's been solid for England for the past 6 or 7 years. The England fans love him. The problem with Maguire is that he is tarnished because he's had a bad time at Manchester United. He was good at every other club he's played for but he's struggled playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I love Jack Grealish but the second part of the season just never happened for him because he got injured, then hardly got any minutes when he got fully fit again, When we have inform players in advancing role positions who are on fire, you can see why Jack never got picked even though I'm gutted at this one.

The thing that does frustrate me about Southgate though is in friendly game's, when he does not take the "handbrake off" so to to speak. He plays the same way that he does in qualifying games or tournaments

But when you speal to Southgate, the way he play's in those friendlies is for the greater good of the England team to achieve winning a tournament.

He believes in a certain of way of playing because he believes that way of playing is the way to win a tournament. So, he will not deviate from that in friendlies because he want's that way of playing set in the mind of players all the time.

I understand where you're coming from and I like Southgate as a person, I think though he has got himself a reputation as being a "safe" manager who doesn't want to take risks, something that he will have to do if we are to win a major tournament. 

When it comes to the squad selection, I'm really not a fan of square pegs in round holes (copyright A.Crosby 2023), so taking another left back rather than sticking a centre half out there or playing a right back out of position would have been preferable to me. I'm not sure about not taking Branthwaite either, who again would have given us a bit of balance rather than Guehi. 

Still, we'll see, I'm convinced we'll get to at least the semi-finals but going further than that will be down to Southgate's ability to outwit the elite teams..

• Like 1

Don’t care if Southgate is a nice bloke. He is an utterly crap manager, failed at club level yet good enough for England.

Every tournament we’ve had the easiest routes through possible, barring one game against Germany - who were awful in that tournament and had only just scraped out of their group. Every other time we’ve faced a half decent team we’ve lost. He’s terrible.

1 hour ago, Brian Johnson said:

Vale getting relegated which I tipped before a ball had got kick last season.

I never bet against that, I said at the start of the season before a ball had been kicked that I would gladly take 5th from bottom. I thought at the time we are going to struggle to score goals with what on paper looked a poor transfer window.

So although I didn’t go as far to say we would get relegated I always thought we would struggle.

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Hence he should of been nowhere near the squad along with Shaw. Trippier, Shaw and Maguire shows Southgates blind loyalty with the fact they were selected/ considered.

Tyrick Mitchell is a decent left back who could possibly of got in at left back. But alas we're going to have a square peg in a round hole.

So is the Trippier argument that he shouldn't have been picked because he's been rubbish for 2 months or he shouldn't have been picked because he's hardly played for 2 months?  I'm confused?

6 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Brilliant. We beat a side in qualifying. They also beat us when it mattered in the final. Germany were down right awful that tournament. If they are the only examples it kind of proves the point. We also get beaten by sides with decent players. Hes an absolutely awful manager that has held this side back. He did ok to begin with and I agree created a good environment ect but with the players at his disposal we should have won trophies, which is all that matters. And he is the reason we haven’t, that final against Italy was all down to Southgate. A decent manager there and we win. 

Which of those penalties did Southgate miss, I've forgotten?  Southgate is far from a world beater but to suggest that he isn't a decent manager is wrong in my opinion.

• Like 1

I can only think of germany in the euros, Italy twice in qualification, Denmark in euros and Croatia in the nations league that Southgate and England have beat that are any good. In that we have lost to Croatia and Belgium in world cup 2018, Italy in euros on pens, France in world cup on pens, then had embarrassing defeats against Hungary twice in nations league, Iceland and Brazil recently in friendlies. Only got draws away at north Macedonia in qualifying and scraped a draw against Belgium. Beating Bosnia is the only win we have had this year. We also lost to Denmark in the nations league and have now been relegated to the lower level for the next nations league. Most of the wins have been against teams that everybody beats san Marino, Andorra, teams like that.