onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2024

2 hours ago, Powerline said:

Don’t care if Southgate is a nice bloke. He is an utterly crap manager, failed at club level yet good enough for England.

Every tournament we’ve had the easiest routes through possible, barring one game against Germany - who were awful in that tournament and had only just scraped out of their group. Every other time we’ve faced a half decent team we’ve lost. He’s terrible.

The tournament pre Southgate we also had an easy route…. And got dumped out by Iceland.

Southgate had made mistakes of course but the vastly improved finishes in his tournaments so far compared to what went before means he  deserves his 3 rd chance of tournament success.

he has also completely changed the culture with the introduction of young players replacing out of form or ageing players. His insistence that players were released from their clubs for increased focus on the under 21 s has in no small way contributed to the current group of half decent players.

for me he has picked a good squad with only the omission of Grealish worthy of controversy… however it will be our lack of defensive capabilities which will see us fall short rather than any tactical faux pas.

• Like 2

Advert

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Which of those penalties did Southgate miss, I've forgotten?  Southgate is far from a world beater but to suggest that he isn't a decent manager is wrong in my opinion.

He was to blame for the defeat. Negative after going a goal up and then his subs!. Bringing players on in the last minute of extra time with the view of taking penalties without kicking the ball beforehand in a major final. Look who missed the penalties, both players who he just brought on to the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

He was to blame for the defeat. Negative after going a goal up and then his subs!. Bringing players on in the last minute of extra time with the view of taking penalties without kicking the ball beforehand in a major final. Look who missed the penalties, both players who he just brought on to the pitch.

And he should have known they were going to miss after being ace in training. Penalties have been his downfall at times like Harry Kane against France. 

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

And he should have known they were going to miss after being ace in training. Penalties have been his downfall at times like Harry Kane against France. 

Pathetic tactics from a manager who lacks tactical ability.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Arguing about the second most successful England manager ever. What's the point?

How do you work that out? Zero trophies with an England team ranked highest in the world rankings for a long long time.

Last World Cup we were 2nd favourites to win it, we made the quarters 

Last Euros we were favourite to win it, we came 2nd.

I would say that is underperforming. Would you say Pep had a successful season had Man City finished 2nd or Arteta successful had Arsenal finished 8th? That’s kind of what you are saying.

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

So what has he got that only Alf has done better and that with his wingless wonders?

Throughout his reign he has had the best striker in the world, one of the best if not the best squad of players England have ever had according FIFA world rankings. 

Im not saying he’s a really bad manager but he is a long way off being a great manager. Win the Euros and there is a strong claim to say he is but I predict that will not happen although I do hope I am wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

How do you work that out? Zero trophies with an England team ranked highest in the world rankings for a long long time.

I would say that is underperforming. Would you say Pep had a successful season had Man City finished 2nd or Arteta successful had Arsenal finished 8th? That’s kind of what you are saying.

You are becoming really pathetic over this.

Making up scenarios that have not happened to try and prove your pointless views and points 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

You are becoming really pathetic over this.

Making up scenarios that have not happened to try and prove your pointless views and points 

Wrong yet again. I’ve just pointed out facts, when all you have spouted your opinions stating them to be facts. 

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

Name an England manager who has been more successful than Southgate, bar Alf Ramsey.

I'm not sure the odds of English bookmakers are quite the 'gotcha' you think they are.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

You’re just making stuff up now, Phil. Stick to the facts - that’s what you want isn’t it. 

Edited by Jacko51

Regardless of quality of squad (2004-06 was much better), what the lads in Coral HQ thought, or the weather, the only manager to outdo Southgate's record of a major tournament final (lost on penalties) and a semi-final is Alf Ramsey. That's an objective fact.

It's not a question of 'is he brilliant', but he's the best we've seen and it's completely spurious to hypothesise that alternative, non-existent managers would have got us to that final/semi-final, let alone win it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2